The Super Hoop (スパーフープ), sometimes called the Dash Hoop (ダッシュフープ) or the Hula Hoop, is a Gadget that appears consistently throughout all the Ape Escape games. It is used to travel across areas much quicker than normal. It can also be used to climb steep slopes, defeat enemies and stun monkeys.
Appearance[edit | edit source]
The Super Hoop has some minor changes in its appearance throughout the series, however its consistent blue and white barber stripe pattern along with an outer golden ring remains the same with each installment.
Yumi is the only character throughout the series to possess a Super Hoop with a drastically different appearance. Hers sports small deep blue hearts along where the supports of the rings are, located in all four points north, south, east and west of the center of the ring.
Usage[edit | edit source]
Ape Escape 1, 2 and 3[edit | edit source]
To use the Super Hoop:
- Equip the Super Hoop.
- Rotate the right analog stick clockwise or counter clockwise, in similar fashion to the Sky Flyer.
- Continue to rotate the right analog stick until slower speed is desired.
PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale[edit | edit source]
The Super Hoop appears as one of Spike's Attacks in PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale, now with the name Hula Hoop. Instead of rotating the Right Analog Stick (as the Right Analog Stick are Spike's throw attacks), the player presses the Circle Button instead. Pressing the Circle Button once will cause Spike to spin the Dash Hoop once, while mashing the Circle Button will cause Spike to dash forward. However, unlike the games, you cannot freely control Spike's Dash Hoop. Another change in the Dash Hoop is that you can charge it in the air, which is impossible in the Ape Escape games.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The player can spin the Super Hoop in advance. However, it will not charge it nor aid in a faster charge upon leaving the crawling state.
- The Super Hoop does not appear in Ape Escape: Million Monkeys, though a similar gadget called Dash Boots does it in a similar manner.
See also[edit | edit source]
- Sky Flyer, the gadget with a similar mechanic.
- Dash Boots, the gadget with a similar mechanic.